Saturday 23 April 2011

The Secret to Surviving Super Success


I often joke that one of the major challenges in being a “successful” life balance expert, is that it becomes harder and harder to successfully balance your life! I recently had coffee (actually, it was more of a steamed soy milk, on my part) with mega-successful radio host Jesse Dylan, of The Good Life Network. He’s interviewed me a couple of times for his show, which was a huge honour for me and an amazing experience, given that Jesse has previously been identified as one of the top 5 radio personalities in the world. In addition to running his network and other business projects, Jesse manages to balance a happy, healthy family life, and is a world-class competitive triathlete. His secret? Read on…

When I asked Jesse what his secret was to staying healthy and happy in the midst of what must sometimes be an absolutely crazy schedule, his answer was this:

“Exercise, and lots of it”.

He walks his talk – the day prior, we’d planned to get together to chat, but had to postpone it because he didn’t want to miss his afternoon swim, at a sports club that required him to drive across town to get his swim in.

This reminded me of something I once heard success expert Jim Rohn say on a CD recording. He pointed out that if the average person tried to keep up with his worldwide travel schedule (Russia one day, Australia the next), he would probably get seriously ill in under a week. The way that Jim manages to survive, and thrive in, his schedule, is by getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly.

These are my secret weapons when times get crazy (and things have been getting progressively more crazy over the past year). I aim to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, eat well, drink lots of water and limit sugar and alcohol, and try to get in some exercise, even just a walk to pick up healthy takeout food, every single day. If I do this, I have the energy, mental clarity, and health to get through my busy life. If I don’t, it’s a time bomb waiting to go off.

So, if you’re on the road to success (or would like to get on it), know that good health habits, particularly regular exercise, will give you the stamina and health to ride and enjoy that wave of success, the day that it comes along.

What do you do to help maintain your health and energy when things get busy? I’d love to know – tell me about it by writing me a comment, below!

Dr. Susan Biali, MD is an internationally recognized wellness expert, life coach, speaker and writer, dedicated to helping people live their dreams and create better balance, health and satisfaction in their lives. Dr. Biali speaks internationally, and her opinions and advice on health and life appear regularly in print, radio, and television media across North America. An expert for HealthyCanada.com and HealthyOntario.com, she writes three nationally published columns on wellness, nutrition and life balance. Dr.Biali is the author of the upcoming book Your Prescription for Life! Seven Steps to Extraordinary Health & Happiness. www.susanbiali.com

No comments:

Post a Comment